Pfaffendorf, Saxon Switzerland
Pfaffendorf was incorporated as a district of Königstein in 1994. The district retains the name of the village, because since medieval times residents of this area have had to pay taxes under that name.
The village was founded in 1437. Theologians in the village had extra rights, namely that they were allowed to hunt rabbits in the area.
The only forest homestead village lies in the flat lands, by which only gardens and small fields could be planted. The half-timbered, multi-story houses and the built up farmland testify to the ability of the farmers of our agricultural past.
There is a stone cross near the village's stream, under which a hermit is rumored to have been buried. At the village's end on the way to Königstein there is very little space, as the small houses along this creek were built close to one another. Just follow the street all the way down to the city. This is where the only real street in Königstein or Pfaffensdorf was in the Middle Ages.
One barn in Pfaffendorf has a special name, "Barbarinegut." The hallway of the barn came up to a height of approximately 35 m on a rock spire that was first climbed in 1905: the emblem of Saxon Switzerland, the "Barbarine." Legend has it that the unique stone structure is a hexed virgin, who went defied the church by collecting berries on Pfaffenstein.
The mountain is one of the most beloved destinations in Saxon Switzerland. C.G. Jäckel was the first to summit the mountain searching for a way to lead visitors. To remember him, there is a memorial, the "Jäckelfelsen." Further summiting possibilities were found in 1897 and 1913.
Fireplaces, stone celts, mill stones, rubbing stones, and even bronze armbands were discovered, all left by the mountain's first inhabitants. A pottery sieve was also found, which was probably used to prepare cheese. Scientist order all of the finds as a part of the historic Lausitz culture. The digs are mostly in the vicinity of today's mountain inns. The antecedents to these inns were two wooden cabins built on the mountain in 1852. Today's inn was built in 1880. If you go on the western path, which was the first path, you will see a bow-shaped, 200 m long wall which was first used as protection by the Bronze Age settlers.
Pfaffenstein was not only used as a settlement, but also in wars, when the inhabitants of Pfaffendorf protected themselves by barricading themselves on the mesa. This was especially used in the war between Saxony and Sweden in 1706 and also in the beginning of the 19th century.